2014 Research Articles
Migrating Motor Complex
Treatment: Herbal Antibiotics
Low FODMAP Diet
- Current views on the etiopathogenesis, clinical manifestation, diagnostics, treatment and correlation with other nosological entities of SIBO. PMID:25657082
- Ascorbic acid suppresses endotoxemia and NF-κB signaling cascade in alcoholic liver fibrosis in guinea pigs: a mechanistic approach.
- Low Ileocecal Valve Pressure Is Significantly Associated with Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO). PMID: 24795035
- Motility abnormalities in irritable bowel syndrome. PMID: 24503633
- Small Intestinal Transit Time is Delayed in Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth. PMID:25319735
- Autoimmunity Links Vinculin to the Pathophysiology of Chronic Functional Bowel Changes Following Campylobacter jejuni Infection in a Rat Model. PMID:25424202
- The impact of proton pump inhibitors on the human gastrointestinal microbiome. PMID:25439276
- Irritable bowel syndrome and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: Meaningful association or unnecessary hype.
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is associated to symptoms in irritable bowel syndrome. Evidence from a multicentre study in Romania. PMID:25509557
- [Estimation of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients with constipation and diarrhea irritable bowel syndrome]. PMID:24964506
- Microbiota, gastrointestinal infections, low-grade inflammation, and antibiotic therapy in irritable bowel syndrome: an evidence-based review. PMID:24857420
- Prolonged orocecal transit time enhances serum bile acids through bacterial overgrowth, contributing factor to gallstone disease.
- Relationship of cytokines, oxidative stress and GI motility with bacterial overgrowth in ulcerative colitis patients.
- Ulcerative colitis as a polymicrobial infection characterized by sustained broken mucus barrier. PMID:25071341
- Relapsing and refractory ulcerative colitis in children. PMID:24969290
- Gastrointestinal dysfunction in liver cirrhosis. PMID:25356031
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients with progressive familial intrahepatic cholestasis. PMID: 24644547
- Gut-liver axis and probiotics: their role in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. PMID:25400436
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in Parkinson's disease. PMID: 24637123
- Liquid melevodopa versus standard levodopa in patients with Parkinson disease and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. PMID:24992085
- Role of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in severe small intestinal damage in chronic non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug users. PMID: 24417613
- Methane intestinal production and poor metabolic control in type I diabetes complicated by autonomic neuropathy. PMID:25068305
- Digestive system dysfunction in cystic fibrosis: challenges for nutrition therapy. PMID:25053610
- Cystic fibrosis: evidence for gut inflammation. PMID:24548777
- An unusual cause of acute kidney injury due to oxalate nephropathy in systemic scleroderma. PMID:25500295
- The role of intestinal bacteria overgrowth in obesity-related nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. PMID:25479248
- Prevalence and predictors of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in systemic sclerosis patients with gastrointestinal symptoms. PMID:25372792
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in inactive Crohn's disease: influence of thiopurine and biological treatment. PMID:25320539
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is common both among patients with alcoholic and idiopathic chronic pancreatitis. PMID:25062877
- An insight into the gastrointestinal component of fibromyalgia: clinical manifestations and potential underlying mechanisms. PMID:25119830
- The gut microbiome and the brain. PMID:25402818
Migrating Motor Complex
- [Effects of acupuncture at "Tianshu" (ST 25) on electro-activity and mechanical motility of migrating motor complex during jejunal digestion period in rats with detached jejunum]. PMID:25022121
- Endogenous motilin, but not ghrelin plasma levels fluctuate in accordance with gastric phase III activity of the migrating motor complex in man. PMID:25393165
- SIBO: The Finer Points of Diagnosis, Test Interpretation, and Treatment
- Increasing duodenal intraepithelial lymphocytosis found at upper endoscopy: time trends and associations.
- Breath tests in the diagnosis of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients with irritable bowel syndrome in comparison with quantitative upper gut aspirate culture. PMID: 24849768
- A study of the methodological and clinical validity of the combined lactulose hydrogen breath test with scintigraphic oro-cecal transit test for diagnosing small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in IBS patients. PMID: 24641100
- Breath tests and irritable bowel syndrome. PMID:24976698
- Glucose Hydrogen Breath Test for Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth in Children with Abdominal Pain-Related Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. PMID:25406525
- Hydrogen breath tests in gastrointestinal diseases. PMID:25298621
- Associations between IL-1RA polymorphisms and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth among patients with irritable bowel syndrome from India. PMID:25073651
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth is an uncommon cause of false positive lactose hydrogen breath test among patients with diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome in Asia. PMID:25470082
Treatment: Herbal Antibiotics
- Herbal therapy is equivalent to rifaximin for the treatment of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. PMID: 24891990
- In vitro activity of rifaximin against isolates from patients with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth.
- Is generic rifaximin still a poorly absorbed antibiotic? A comparison of branded and generic formulations in healthy volunteers. PMID: 24836868
- Impact of crystal polymorphism on the systemic bioavailability of rifaximin, an antibiotic acting locally in the gastrointestinal tract, in healthy volunteers. PMID:25565769
- Antibiotic treatment of constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. PMID: 24788320
- Safety and tolerability of rifaximin for the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome without constipation: a pooled analysis of randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trials. PMID: 24697851
- Rifaximin for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in patients without irritable bowel syndrome. PMID:25319626
- Editorial: safety and tolerability of rifaximin for IBS - more information is required; authors' reply. PMID:24946060
- Editorial: safety and tolerability of rifaximin for IBS - more information is required. PMID:24946058
- Evaluating the efficacy of probiotic on treatment in patients with small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) - A pilot study. PMID:25579140
- Short-term probiotic therapy alleviates small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, but does not improve intestinal permeability in chronic liver disease. PMID:25244414
- Probiotics, prebiotics & synbiotics in small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: opening up a new therapeutic horizon! PMID:25579137
Low FODMAP Diet
- A study of the methodological and clinical validity of the combined lactulose hydrogen breath test with scintigraphic oro-cecal transit test for diagnosing small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in IBS patients.
- Gut microbiota influences low fermentable substrate diet efficacy in children with irritable bowel syndrome.
- Differential effects of FODMAPs (fermentable oligo-, di-, mono-saccharides and polyols) on small and large intestinal contents in healthy subjects shown by MRI.
- [Malabsorption of fermentable oligo-, di-, or monosaccharides and polyols (FODMAP) as a common cause of unclear abdominal discomfort]. - German PMID: 24892470
- Fermentable oligosaccharides, disaccharides, monosaccharides and polyols: role in irritable bowel syndrome. PMID: 24830318
- [The low FODMAP diet as a therapy for irritable bowel syndrome]. - In Dutch PMID: 24823855
- Low FODMAP Diet in the Treatment of Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Is It the End of the Road or the Beginning of a Journey? PMID: 24780209
- Mechanisms and efficacy of dietary FODMAP restriction in IBS. PMID: 24445613
- Dietary sorbitol and mannitol: food content and distinct absorption patterns between healthy individuals and patients with irritable bowel syndrome. PMID: 23909813
If you value this website, consider supporting the free information provided on siboinfo.com and it's newsletter, which helps SIBO sufferers world wide.
Site author: Dr Allison Siebecker